Sunday, March 25, 2012

Music Month: Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman

 Cinderella

Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman is today's music post. If you are unfamiliar with him, Chapman is a Christian music artist who has had some mainstream hits. This song is not religious. It is the song of a father cherishing time with his daughter.

From the lyrics:

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

Here is a music video followed by Chapman sharing the story behind the song's inspiration:



The poignancy of this song grew shortly after its release due to the tragic accidental death of Chapman's daughter, Maria Sue, one of the inspirations of the song. The accident occurred about six weeks after the above video was shared on YouTube in 2008 although I am unsure when it was filmed. Chapman lives in the Nashville area so this story was well-shared news in my hometown at the time and remains a sad note, almost making me not want to share it. But I appreciate the message as well as the use of Cinderella in a less common way in music, so I am sharing it with you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment