Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Forest in Folklore

The SurLaLune Discussion Board had a request this week for articles and books about forests and folklore.  I shared three book titles on the board--it was a quick answer of what I was already aware of--but I wanted to post them here and solicit more suggestions from readers here if you have any to share.

The Forest in Folklore and Mythology

The Forest in Folklore and Mythology by Alexander Porteous (From 1928 and published under several titles, but the Dover edition is the one I own.)

The Meaning of Trees: Botany, History, Healing, Lore



Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees


There are also some articles on Endicott Studio as mentioned.

Into the Woods: On British Forests, Myth and Now by Ruth Padel

The Path of Needles or Pins: Little Red Riding Hood by Terri Windling

The Dark of the Woods: Rites-of-Passage Tales by Terri Windling

(And, yes, the discussion board still lives although I keep debating its lifespan. I've converted to the free version so it's free and as long as the spam posts only require me to delete a few times a week, it will live on for now.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, once again, for your lovely and informative response to my query! I cannot tell you how excited I am to read these books!

    ReplyDelete