Thursday, December 3, 2009

Nutcracker Week: Maurice Sendak


Here's the picture book version of The Nutcracker a few generations grew up with--not me, I'm just slightly too old--but the cover has become a common image used in posters and other materials. After all, it's by Maurice Sendak, of Where the Wild Things Are fame. Used copies are available and your favorite library should have it although its copies may have to have been retired from wear.

I don't have any other images to share, but this blog entry by Lance Mannion about the story and one child's experience with the 'Christmas' story is charming and has several images, albeit blurry ones. It also reminded me that the story is quite boy friendly although the ballet influence and marketing seems to have pushed it firmly into girls' territory these days. Rats, soldiers, battles, oh my! Sendak's version is also quite boy friendly in tone and style.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this book! Thank you for sharing and bringing up such lovely visual memories.

    ReplyDelete