Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Twelve Dancing Princesses by Emma Chichester Clark


The McElderry Book of Grimms' Fairy Tales Sleeping Princess and Other Fairy Tales from Grimm (The Orchard Books Collection) 

I posted the Snow White and Rose Red illustrations yesterday but have updated the entry with extra pictures. For today, since I have already featured a new Twelve Dancing Princesses picture book by Brigette Barrager, I thought I would feature the same fairy tale by Clark, too.

Isn't it fun to see all of the various interpretations of the tale by illustrators?

And all of this reminds me that I never even devoted a week to the tale when I released Twelve Dancing Princesses Tales From Around the World last year. Should I do that? It's a much shorter collection than Bluebeard, but it's interesting all the same.

The McElderry Book of Grimms' Fairy Tales by Saviour Pirotta (Adapter), Emma Chichester Clark (Illustrator) is not a new book, but I recently discovered many of the illustrations from it in an online exhibition.

Here's the illustrations:

THE PRINCESSES' SATIN SHOES

EVERY PRINCESS GOT INTO A BOAT

'PUT THIS ON YOUR SHOULDERS,' SHE WHISPERED, 'AND IT WILL MAKE YOU INVISIBLE'

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the version illustrated by Errol Le Cain? It came out in the UK in 1978, and is my favourite version of this tale. I ordered the Barrager version just today, before I saw your post.

    ReplyDelete