Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Goldilocks and the Three Bears by James Marshall



Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Picture Puffin Books)


Goldilocks and the Three Bears by James Marshall received a Caldecott Honor Medal and stays in print although we unfortunately lost Marshall several years ago. The continuing popularity of his fairy tales and George and Martha books and Space Case and many others helps. I love the humor of Marshall's books but Goldilocks is my favorite because she is simply so bratty and the bears are so wonderful that I fall in love with them every time I read the book. I love that it hearkens back to the earliest versions of the tale in which the bears are the victims of an intruding hag. Love!

The illustrations are funny and the retellings by Marshall are modern and humorous. They are so fun to read aloud, too. I own all of his fairy tales in my personal library and often use them to read with savvy kids who always fall in love with them. Many others agree with me, many of them have been made into short Scholastic films, too: Red Riding Hood... And More James Marshall Fairy Tale Favorites (Scholastic Video Collection) and Treasury of 25 Storybook Classics: Fairytales, Magic... and More! (Scholastic Storybook Treasures).

Here are images of some of the first pages:





Although it is so tempting to share Marshall's books all week, I won't. So here are some of his other fairy tale books:

James Marshall's Cinderella Red Riding Hood (retold by James Marshall) 

The Three Little Pigs (Reading Railroad Books) Hansel and Gretel (Picture Puffins)

The James Marshall Fairytale Collection 

No comments:

Post a Comment