Saturday, March 5, 2011

East of the Sun and West of the Moon by Mercer Mayer


East of the Sun and West of the Moon

Since I so loved yesterday's book by Mercer Mayer, I decided to share another of his on this blustery Saturday: East of the Sun and West of the Moon. These pictures are also borrowed from NouvelleGamine's blog.

Here are the pictures:


(This one reminds me of Merlin, the tv series, especially the first season with the dragon, which has been one of John's favorite BBC offerings this past year. He received season 2 for his birthday.)


3 comments:

  1. Heidi ~ thank you for reminding me of Mayer's gorgeous artwork. I have both of the books you posted about, (and apparently now they are collectors items) plus a few others that were illustrated by him. Such a wonderful style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! My childhood copy is in pieces. But a question: where did he get this version? I remember being very surprised as a kid when I read another ESWM and it had bears and winds and no salamanders...

    ~Lylassandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lylassandra,

    as far as i know, mercer mayer made it up, or rather took "the frog prince" & then blended it with the idea of the heroine's journey. there is a russian version of "eswm" called, "finist the falcon" {among other titles} that's very charming.

    ReplyDelete