Friday, January 7, 2011

Tam Lin: Modern Interpretations in Books

I have often debated adding Tam Lin to the SurLaLune site proper, but have not done so, especially due to the already great site at Tam Lin, although it doesn't appear to be updated these days. However, I wanted to share a list of Modern Interpretations similar to what I do on SurLaLune, adapted a little from Terri Windling's comments on the SMoST page as well as Wikipedia and my own ongoing list, so here goes:

The Perilous Gard


Fire and Hemlock


Red Shift (Collins Voyager)


Tam Lin


Tam Lin


Winter Rose


An Earthly Knight




Blood and Iron: A Novel of the Promethean Age


Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction


An Anthology of Scottish Fantasy Literature


Tam Lin

Tam Lin by Jane Yolen

Not One Damsel in Distress: World Folktales for Strong Girls

Burd Janet by Jane Yolen in Not One Damsel in Distress

Wild Robin by Susan Jeffers (no cover image)

Finding Magic


Gnat Stokes and the Foggy Bottom Swamp Queen


The Dogs of Babel: A Novel
The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst

The Nightwood
The Nightwood by Robin Muller

The Book of Ballads

"Tam Lin" in Book of Ballads edited and illustrated by Charles Vess

The Hawthorn Tree by Patrick Little (no cover image)

Feel free to add more in the comments.  I have edited this list several times today and have had it eaten in part by the server a few times.  I'm off to other projects now before I smash something...

1 comment:

  1. great list! I've read 8 of the items on it, with my favorite being "The Perilous Gard". I confess I'm a bit puzzled by the inclusion of "The Dogs of Babel"; I read it (and was horrified by the plot involving the dog) but can't recall a Tam Lin connection. I'll have to inter-library loan the Alan Garner and Midori Snyder titles - I love their work and have been on the lookout for these for years, with no success. Midori Snyder's collaboration with Jane Yolen on "Except the Queen" still has me tingling with happiness. ^_^

    ReplyDelete