Monday, July 18, 2011

A Mermaid at Zennor by J.R. Weguelin




At Zennor Cornwall a Mermaid Takes a Passer-By by Surprise by J.R. Weguelin, image from Art.com.

This post will be followed by a lengthier one about The Mermaid of Zennor. I discovered this image while researching mermaids for Mermaid and Other Water Spirit Tales From Around the World in which The Mermaid of Zennor appears. But I didn't find any more information about this particular image by Weguelin, who was primarily an illustrator. It's unusual in time setting so I wanted to share it here. I wonder which book or magazine it originally appeared within....

You can see a larger image of it here. The mermaid's tale is really quite fascinating.

I found this--1902 MERMAID ZENNOR STORY ILLUSTRATION CONRAD WEGUELIN--an old magazine article by Conrad Weguelin and illustrated by J.R. Weguelin but the illustration style isn't the same, so I doubt the images were produced together.

 1902 MERMAID ZENNOR STORY ILLUSTRATION CONRAD WEGUELIN



No comments:

Post a Comment