Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Disney's Beauty and the Beast in 3D and Other Formats



I will say this for them, Disney covers the bases with their home movie releases these days. Today was the release day of another iteration of Beauty and the Beast. I don't own a blu-ray player or a 3D tv and don't plan to anytime soon but at least all of the choices are available in one package in case I buy this or decide to get those latest devices.  Beauty and the Beast (Five Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy).

That said, the reviews on the net for the 3D version are quite positive and I can see how well this would translate. I'm not a 3D fan either, but this one would interest me.

I remember seeing this one in the theatre on original release day in 1991, eager for a Beauty and the Beast tale, not so Disney-jaded, and a little bittersweet because I had recently lost a dear friend who would have adored it. For some reason, this movie hit it home even harder that my friend wasn't around anymore and wouldn't be seeing and sharing experiences like movie viewing with me.

I loved the movie and still consider it one of my favorite Disney films--I like Tangled and Sleeping Beauty best--despite some of the things I absolutely HATE about what they did with the tale. After all, it pretty much has become the standard version of the tale now and all of the allegations about Beauty and the Beast condoning abusive relationships can rest easily on this version's doorstep. But that's a hot topic, isn't it?

Anyway, I love the music. I like a dark haired girl who voraciously reads (shades of Robin McKinley anyone?) and wears yellow so well. This is a fun movie even with its flaws.

Anyone here trying out the 3D version anytime soon?

1 comment:

  1. I've always felt that Philipe was more or less a pallet-swapped Greatheart, anyway!

    The 3d thing is a total cashgrab, and I have to say that the bluray and HD versions of the film tend to make some of the scenes look...well...bad. When everything is so crystal clear, it's easy to see that background characters have no detail, or are on three-frame cycles (or have super derp face.... a round of applause for the junior animation team, folks!). High Def does cartoons no favours.

    That said, I have a giant crush on this movie.

    ReplyDelete