Saturday, September 24, 2011

Puss in Boots (2009) Trailer



So what do I post about a movie that takes its name and title character directly from a fairly well-known fairy tale and then does pretty much nothing with said fairy tale? It's more Zorro and modern day parody than anything else. Yes, I am obviously talking about Puss in Boots which I was reminded of with the trailer this week while watching something with my husband. The most folklore I'm seeing is Humpty Dumpty and a quick glimpse of some beanstalk like plants that may or may not riff on Jack and the Beanstalk. There are Jack and Jill listed as primary characters, too, so there is more nursery rhyme than fairy tale present so far.

The trailer is funny though. I think most of the top cat cliches were addressed in it. Of course, the main plot appears to be one of the biggest Hollywood cliches of all, saving the world from an evil villain that threatens complete destruction. Ugh. I would have preferred a little bit more reference to the original tale since that would have been more interesting...at least to me.

Of course, this is a spin-off of the Shrek series. I enjoyed the first one and the others, not so much. But if Puss gets decent reviews, I will probably see it.

Perhaps my favorite part of the whole thing is how much the character's appearance was based on Gustave Dore's interpretation, very French, but transformed into a very Spanish character for Banderas.




So what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to this one... I liked the first two Shrek movies, but then I've never even gone back and watched the second one... haven't even seen the fourth. Puss in Boots is one of my favorite fairy tales but this doesn't look like it has anything to do with it, other than the character. Hmmm. Especially since the franchise has already disqualified ogres as the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it doesn't have much to do with the original, I still want to see this. I loved Puss in Boots more than the other characters of the Shrek movies (except for Donkey) ^.^ Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete