Friday, September 23, 2011

On Beauty and the Beast... at Tales of Faerie



With all of the Beauty and the Beast talk this week, I wanted to make sure readers here also saw Kristin's recent B&B post at Tales of Faerie, On Beauty and the Beast... Kristin's focus is on Betsy Hearne's Beauty and the Beast: Visions and Revisions of an Old Tale. Here's a bit to tease you into clicking over:

I can literally open this book up to any page and know I'll find something beautifully written and thought provoking...however, one little comment-why does Beauty always get accused of initally judging the Beast by appearances? I think she's actually more than decent to him initially, and if she shows fear or loathing it probably has something to do with the fact that he threatened to kill her father for no reason. Even if not, did we expect her to accept a marriage proposal on the first night of their acquaintance?

Kristin also discusses Beastly briefly, comparing the book vs. the film.

 

Tales of Faerie is a great blog and one of my favorites for extra fairy tale reading. Kristin's post aren't as frequent as mine--I'm sure she knows just how time consuming maintaining a regular blog can be--but she also offers more of her personal opinions and discoveries to add interpretations to what she writes about. I am often tempted to point to most of her posts, but I try not to share too many "look at this other blog" posts since I hope many of you are already reading her independently and don't want to preach to the choir.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for humouring us this week! ^_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words, Heidi! I really can't tell you how much they mean to me:). I am unabashedly a fan of your work and consider compliments from you to be the highest praise! Thank you for all your hard work and for inspiring people like me.

    ReplyDelete