Sunday, September 25, 2011

Film Month: Ever After - A Cinderella Story and Other Cinderellas



Ever After - A Cinderella Story keeps getting mentioned in the discussions about fairy tale films this month, but it hasn't been discussed itself. One commenter even called it a guilty pleasure. I don't consider it a guilty pleasure but an authentic one. In truth, it is one of the few Cinderella films I have been able to watch repeatedly although I haven't seen it in years. But this month's film theme has made me consider a rewatch sometime soon. (Maybe I will if I tire of watching New Tricks anytime soon. Which I doubt since I have only watched two seasons and have six more to go. Thank goodness. My tv viewing time is limited and I like to be entertained.)

Yes, the film is flawed, but it is watchable and makes Cinderella admirable for modern sensibilities. Leonardo Da Vinci as the fairy godmother character has always been fun for me. And his portrait that is reworked for the film was on a wall in our house when I was a very young child so I was sentimentally drawn to it, too.) I remember going to see it out of curiosity touched with dread but being entertained and walking out happy overall.

So what are your favorite film versions of Cinderella? Mine are Slipper and the Rose, the Julie Andrews version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella and Ever After. Yes, I am able to rewatch the Disney on occasion, but it is not among my preferred Disney fairy tales.

 

4 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly. I love all of these movies. (Well, I like the Disney Cinderella a little less than the others.) I always like retellings of Cinderella but "Ever After," Rodgers' and Hammerstein's "Cinderella" (all versions), and "The Slipper and the Rose" are by far the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had the oppertunity to watch The Slipper and the Rose today. I absolutely LOVED it! By far one of the the BEST retellings I've seen. I'm obsessed with fairytales and try to read/ and watch every one and retelling there is out there. This has become my ultimate site for finding out whats new and exciting and what I've missed.

    Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ever After, I watched it when I was quite young and it always stayed with me over years until I finally got round to buying it and rewatching it. I've always loved Dougray Scott as Prince Henry, he was a prat but a loveable one.

    I like the Disney version but I don't love it, I watched it a lot when I was young but these days I prefer other Disney movies to it, Cinderella herself and Prince Charming just seem so bland to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are Slipper and the Rose, Disney's Cinderella, and Ever After. I loved Drew Barrymore's dress at the ball :)

    ReplyDelete