Friday, September 2, 2011

Follow-Up on The Types of International Folktales Books



If you have tried to order these books previously when they were out of print, reorder them. The bookstore is not going to contact you about the old order. It was essentially cancelled if the books were out of print when you placed it. They didn't contact me about the reprinting. They don't even know I exist as SurLaLune. I am just a customer to them who ordered the set a few weeks ago.

I have been checking back semi-regularly since the books were supposed to be reprinted in the early part of this year and never were. I have desperately wanted my own copies for a while to facilitate research and because copies are not easy to find in most university libraries yet. Check WorldCat and you'll see how rare they really are. Nashville is surrounded by university libraries and only one had copies of this set which are lent out, not kept as reference books, so essentially they are unavailable. Fortunately, I had some fair use photocopies of the pages I needed the most.

Place a new order with the new listings provided in my post yesterday and await the email. You won't be double charged for anything by the bookstore. The nice thing about their antiquated ordering system is that an actual person is handling your complete order once it is received. If you have questions, you can also email them at tiedekirja (at) tsv.fi They can communicate with you in English. It might not be fluent, but it is adequate to your needs. And, yes, the books are in English so no worries there.

You can send the email requesting a total. Include your shipping address and the following:

Tilatut tuoteet:
1kpl 33,00 eur/kpl 83-265-30282 Types of International Folktales . A Classification and Bibliography. Based on the System of Antti A
1kpl 33,00 eur/kpl 83-265-30283 Types of International Folktales . A Classification and Bibliography. Based on the System of Antti A
1kpl 33,00 eur/kpl 83-265-30284 Types of International Folktales . A Classification and Bibliography. Based on the System of Antti

As for availability through Amazon, B&N and others, not that I've seen so far and perhaps never. Most likely the price would equal or surpass ordering them direct if they were. These are from a small academic press in another country. They are not going to be easy for distributors to distribute for a profit without a severe markup especially in today's publishing economy. But at 33 euros apiece, they are very reasonably priced through the publisher. I've paid much more for much less with American academic publishers.

Finally, these books are HIGHLY recommended. I find they are more intuitive than the previous versions of the system with helpful categories and resources. If you work with tale types, they are a must, the primary tool you will end up using. Is the system perfect? No. But this is the best for the intended purposes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heidi,
    I did contact tiedekirja (at) tsv.fi. to find out how to go about purchasing the 3 volumes via int´l credit card. They answered right away, and were most kind in suggesting I faxed my order for security reasons.
    I did so, and the books promptly and safely arrived at my home city, Buenos Aires, Argentina. By the way, they are precious!
    Best,
    Maria Cristina Thomson

    ReplyDelete