Friday, July 22, 2011

Emma Watson to Headline Beauty and the Beast

Two years ago there were rumors of a Cinderella film with Emma Watson that never came to fruition. No surprise. That's Hollywood. Now with all of the end of the saga Harry Potter buzz, the news mill is announcing that Emma is slated not to play Cinderella but Beauty/Belle in Beauty and the Beast.

From Emma Watson to Headline Beauty and the Beast at ComingSoon.net:

The eternally-busy Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) may have already lined-up another upcoming project. Crazy, Stupid, Love producer Denise Di Novi told ComingSoon.net at that film's New York junket today that she's developing an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast alongside del Toro and that Emma Watson is lined up to star.
I'm just happy it's not another Snow White. Snow White is everywhere in the next year. And, well, I prefer Emma over Kirsten Stewart and I also prefer Beauty and the Beast, so this one appeals that way, too.

6 comments:

  1. It's not a role I would have pictured her in, but I like Emma and I LOVE Batb, so yay!

    ~Lylassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Watson, but I far prefer Snow White--just find a troubled mother-daughter relationship far more interesting than yet another version of the story where a beautiful woman learns to accept an unappealing man the way he is, while he gets to score a hot chick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be interesting to see how closely they stick the original, though-- one could argue that it's a story about a guy who has (almost) everything falling for a flighty, promise-breaking young woman, too.

    ~Lylassandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. One could, but that would overlook the social context in which the story was written and continues to be told, which was one in which arranged marriage in which the young woman had very little say was common, in which case why on earth should she be morally expected to keep her promises to the jerk who takes her against her will, and one in which women are constantly told that their main value lies in their looks and that they should overlook a man's flaws, whereas dumpy men are often portrayed as deserving of and receiving hot chicks.

    I prefer Cupid and Psyche--they're both smokin' hot, and she's representative of the soul rather than merely beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a role I'd picture Emma in either, but I'm sure it would work. I think I would like to see a different take on the story. Of course we all love the tale of Beauty and the Beast, but it's nice to have something new.

    ReplyDelete