Monday, October 26, 2015

New Book: Hansel & Gretel by Hollie Hobby



Hansel & Gretel by Hollie Hobby is a new release and I have to admit one of my favorite illustrated versions of Hansel and Gretel in several years. Just look at the page images I included below. They are scrumptious. Hansel and Gretel is a perfect story for modern Halloween celebrations--witches, candy and some jeopardy. One might think with the Holly Hobbie name this would be overly sweet, but it isn't. The atmosphere is gorgeous and dense.

So a perfect book for this week and I know I will adding this one to my personal collection. It resonates with me. Lovely!

Book description:

Holly Hobbie brings to life a favorite spooky tale from childhood.

When a woodcutter and his scheming wife abandon Hansel and Gretel in the forest, all hope is lost until they come upon a cottage made of tasty sweets. But the owner is not the kindly old woman she pretends to be. Can Gretel save Hansel from the clutches of a hungry witch? Holly Hobbie's masterful watercolors reach new heights in this spine-tingling rendition of the tale, faithful to the beloved classic.










2 comments:

  1. You are right! I've never thought about it but Hansel & Gretel is sooo halloween!!
    The illustrations are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fondly remember and still have many Holly Hobbie cards and stationary. I had no idea her history. Thank you for re-introducing her to me. Nice to see her wonderful art again.

    ReplyDelete