Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Adventures of the Gingerbread Man

My next trip to Atlanta will include a visit to The Center for Puppetry Arts. I have driven by but have never been there at the right time to go inside. I'm a big puppet fan thanks to my own collection as a child as well as my continued collecting as an adult. It doesn't hurt that I'm part of the original Sesame Street and Jim Henson generation either. I grew up with puppets, muppets, etc. permeating my childhood existence. If I were to ever be on one of those "live your dream, try an alternate career reality shows," I would choose to be a puppeteer. That's how much of a fan I am.

Showing this weekend (Fri-Sun) in the rain-flooded city, The Adventures of the Gingerbread Man!

Enjoy a batch of lighthearted fun for the whole family in this whimsical adaptation of The Fisherman's Wife, The Three Wishes, The Little Red Hen, and The Gingerbread Boy. You'll meet Redina, a mixed-up chicken with a passion for chocolate chips; Gripe and Bicker, two monstrous friends who together must decide how to use three wishes; and a greedy wife whose plans don't quite pan out.

by David Stephens, All Hands Productions, Atlanta, GA

There is also a Create-A-Puppet Workshop in which you can make your own Gingerbread Man Shadow Puppet.

Atlanta is very much underwater right now with its rare flooding, to think that it was drought ridden only a few years ago. (Nashville is getting more than its fair share of rain, too, but not to the flood levels experienced further south.) The Center is open year round and a great stop right on the edge of downtown Atlanta if you happen to be in the city. Many more fairy tales are listed in the Upcoming Performances including The Shoemaker & the Elves, A Woodland Cinderella and The Three Billy Goats Gruff and Other Tales.

Okay and this just made me laugh when I was deciding on imagery for this post:

Buy at Art.com

No comments:

Post a Comment