Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Birthday: Archaeology Fun Stuff



Mighty World Search for the Lost Mummy

Today is my birthday and so I am feeling quite indulgent with myself.   So today is about me.  Since it is also Saturday, I am sure most of you are too busy to care if I veer away from the usual fairy tale related stuff, at least slightly.

A few months ago on my husband's birthday, we went exploring the toy aisles at Target. John and I think birthdays and holiday gifts are more fun if a toy is involved. Well, that day John chose more Magnetix to add to his collection, but I discovered a toy I fell in love with: Mighty World Search for the Lost Mummy.

I have a very amateur interest in archaeology--how could anyone interested in folklore not? I also devoured my fair share of Elizabeth Peters books starting with Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, Book 1) back the in day which I admit I picked up after adoring Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw in my early adolescent years. (These days I much prefer her Greensleeves which remains a regular reread.)  I still have a report I wrote on the Great Pyramids in 7th grade. I used my mother's college text books to write the report and felt so mature doing so.  Anyway, archaeology, especially the quintessential Egyptian variety, entertains me.

I won't admit if I am getting that playset pictured above for my toy birthday gift, but I had to go explore to see if there are more cool toys I would have enjoyed as a kid, but was born too early to fully enjoy.  There are.  Here are some of the best:

Safari LTD Ancient Egypt Toob


Dig and Play Egyptian Tomb by Toysmith


Egyptian Soldiers


Playmobil Pharaoh's Temple


Playmobil Archaeologist Add On


Thames and Kosmos Classic Science Archaeology: Pyramid


Admit it, don't you wish you could be a kid again just to play with these?  I don't ever wish to be a kid again.  I like being a grown-up very well, thank you, but I do wish I had the ability to play with abandon with toys like these.

9 comments:

  1. You should go play with them! :D

    Happy Birthday! I enjoy your blog so much and look forward to each installment - thank you for letting so many enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Let all your derams come true! Your blog is a real treasure, Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Happy Returns! Thank you so much for your blog. I really enjoy it and I've learned so much. I hope you have a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! I hope you got your toy. ;0) Thanks for sharing these. I also have that amateur lust for tombs and pyramids (I think possibly started by an amazing hieroglyphs stamp set and booklet I had as a kid) and have likewise devoured the Peabody books (and am waiting rather impatiently for the library patrons ahead of me to be finished with the most recent installment). Seeing these, I am already plotting my daughter's introduction to Playmobil...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bit late but Happy Birthday! Hope you had a fun-filled day.
    I love love love your blog, having discovered it through the Surlalune site (love that too!), it is truly inspirational & THE BEST place to keep me updated with the latest releases :D
    Thank you so much for all your hard work & I think you should go ahead and PLAY to your heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pointed out to me by the infamous sdn, I thought you might appreciate Playmobil's Grave Robbers:

    http://tinyurl.com/3yt47aq

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy (late) birthday! I love playmobil and have had my eye on their Egyptian line, but we're already full to brimming with their pirates and fairy tale lines. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy (slightly belated) birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete