Saturday, December 17, 2011

Spinoff Online: Once Upon a Time Creators Talk Willingham, Lindelof and Icons


From Once Upon a Time Creators Talk Willingham, Lindelof and Icons, another article you should read in its entirety if you are a fan.

But what has it been like to have that very specific base for characters and world to build on. People really know the ins and outs of these versions of things. Does that make storytelling any easier for you, or do you want to go in and reestablish a bunch of the ground rule?

Kitsis: I think it’s a mixture of both. What Adam and I really tried to set out and do was not just tell the stories you already knew but tell the ones you didn’t know. That’s why we started the pilot with the end of Snow White and then saw what took place after. It’s the perfect example in how we open on the glass coffin since it’s the most iconic image ever, but then we take you into the relationship between her and Prince Charming. There are certain stories like Cinderella or Hansel & Gretel that have such iconic elements to them, but then the challenge becomes revealing a piece you never knew before or putting a fun twist on it.

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting, as is the original Willingham article. Thanks for sharing them. Although knowing the basic Fables storyline for a long time, I only just managed to get my hands on the series (no money at the moment :() and finally read them. I too saw some similarities, and, as Willingham said, if the sheriff had been the BBW i would have thought it was a bit much, too, but luckily, no. although he was my favourite character, so I am a bit sad there. I felt, and I was glad that Willingham felt too, that Once goes in it's own direction. I felt the back stories with Snow and the queen helped with that. I can't wait to find out about their past, and I love that the cast of Once is filled with so many strong women!

    http://rosesandvellum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete