Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rapunzel Ad for GHD Flat Iron



From Beauty label puts a modern twist on Rapunzel:
Hair iron makers ghd have released their new fairytale-inspired TV campaign and it is a welcome diversion from the commonly blunt beauty ads by rather following the current trend for short, narrative-based films in fashion.

Usually reserved for the more poetic fragrance ads, the elements used by ghd in the short create a whole 'world' around the product, in this case the world of Rapunzel, the fairytale character that was famously saved by letting her hair down.

In the modern take of the beauty brand, an emancipated Rapunzel no longer relies on the knight in shining armor to free her from her towering prison: using a straightening iron, her hair becomes longer and helps her escape on her own.


There are also three different print ads using Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Cinderella. See those below.


Click on LRRH to see the wolf's tail hanging out of the basket and that the dirt on the ax is blood. Makes me want to style my hair! :)




You can also read more about the ad and product on the GHD website here. This campaign is running in the UK, not the US.

And I admit I'm shocked that Rapunzel isn't used more often for beauty ads. Yes, it would become more cliche, but this is a well-done commercial, IMHO.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I loooove that video! Girl power <3 ALl these ads are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is such a powerful ad campaign. I really love when companies bring the fairytale to life through modern technology. I love to add fairytale aspects into my life from my interior design to my eous horse gear (http://www.smartipony.com).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat, can you explain what eous horse gear is? I have never heard of it, but if you are doing ad campaigns like these, I would love to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.ghdcareofhairstore.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete