Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Slipper and the Rose: The Story Of Cinderella [Blu-ray]



Just a reminder that The Slipper and the Rose: The Story Of Cinderella [Blu-ray] was released last month. I already own TWO DVDs of this film but darn it, I think I want the Blu-Ray since any upgrade in picture will be appreciated. This is one of my favorite renditions of Cinderella, one of the films that started me on this SurLaLune journey when I was much younger than I am now.

I still remember thinking, "Well, that makes better sense than the version in my book." And so it was one of my first exposures to a reinterpretation of a tale circa age 9 or so. Not that it takes much liberty with the tale, but we do get the prince's side of the story, too, and it's not so easy for a prince to marry a commoner either.

And as I always say, if I had a Fairy Godmother, I would want her to be Annette Crosbie.

And now I have the music stuck in my head again. Not a bad thing, it's the Sherman Brothers at their best besides their score to Mary Poppins. (I'm tempted by the new Disney "biopic"--Saving Mr Banks--just to see those scenes with the Sherman Brothers writing the songs for Mary Poppins.)

I wouldn't mind an attempt at a remake of Slipper and the Rose. My fondness for Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella has grown over the years--from singing it in musical comedy class as a teen to finally seeing Julie Andrews' performance in Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1957 Television Production) to taking my niece this past September to see a local theatre production--but Slipper and the Rose will always be my favorite.

Which would you rather sing, "In My Own Little Corner" as you sweep the floor or "Tell Him Anything (But Not That I Loved Him)" as you sneak away to save the kingdom?

Although it's a close tie for me between "What A Comforting Thing To Know" and "Impossible!; It's Possible!" Either of those are my guaranteed earworms from each musical version. "Impossible" stayed in my head for weeks after seeing the Rodgers and Hammerstein version in September.

Darn it. I think I just talked myself into sneaking this under the tree for myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment