Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Participate in Fairy Tale Film Month on SurLaLune Blog


Ever After - A Cinderella Story Sleeping Beauty (Two-Disc Platinum Edition) The Slipper and the Rose Beastly

Back in the spring I started a fairy tale film week and then abandoned it when I became overwhelmed with editing Bluebeard Tales From Around the World.

Sydney White (Widescreen Edition) Aquamarine Splash (20th Anniversary Edition) Red Riding Hood

Now I want to devote all of September for discussing fairy tales and films--including classic, recent and future--and I am asking for reader participation. What fairy tale film do you love? Which one do you detest? Which one is a guilty pleasure?

The Company of Wolves Bluebeard BluebeardRodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella

I don't particularly care what you write, just be sure you want it shared. You can choose an online name for it. But I want to start discussion and even awareness of fairy tale films as the onslaught of new ones begins next year again. We've had several this year, too, of course.

Shrek: The Whole Story Boxed Set (Shrek / Shrek 2 / Shrek the Third / Shrek Forever After) Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil Happily N'Ever After Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney Special Platinum Edition)

Then throughout the month of September I will share your thoughts on the blog. So technically the deadline is September 29th, but the sooner the better so I have more to share. And to sweeten the request, I will randomly select one submitter to receive a brand new copy of Jack Zipes' new book, The Enchanted Screen: The Unknown History of Fairy-Tale Films. I only have one copy to give away but I may find some extra prizes if I receive enough entries to inspire me!

The Enchanted Screen: The Unknown History of Fairy-Tale Films

Send your entries to contest (at) surlalunefairytales dot com. Include a user name or how you would like to be named in the post. Sending an entry to me implies permission to reprint it on the blog. I hope this is fun and gets us all thinking about our favorite fairy tale films. I'd prefer one film discussed per post to maintain link, but I am quite flexible and want good writing and strong opinions more than anything else.

Finally, there are no right or wrong answers here. You can love Disney. You can hate it. You can love or hate any of these films. The commenters on SurLaLune tend to prefer discussion over attacks. I will moderate, too. And don't let the article about films I linked to earlier today with Jack Zipes intimidate you. It happened to coincide with my timing for this announcement. Your opinions are welcome whether or not I agree with them or anyone else does!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Proff Zipes, hollywood has a lot to answer for in the "dumbing down of society" with insipid trash.
    Beauty and the Beast by cocteau, Pans Labyrinth & dominique Thomas Bluebeard are favs.
    Ever After is a guilty pleasure, the rest are just empty calories, pap for the masses.
    more evidence that the States no longer read and we are slipping inexorably into the fall of society.
    they are re-doing planet of the apes & logans run for crissakes! can soilent green be far behind?
    I'm destined to be my grandfather waving his fist in the air exhorting "In MY day.....!"
    Momabear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! Now just to decide which film to write about--so many that I love (although some I'm still not ready to admit to in public!).

    ReplyDelete