Friday, June 18, 2010

Coming Soon: SurLaLune Books in Paper




I've been feverishly working on these lovelies the past several weeks as well as an upcoming title.  The picture above is of the proofs and there are some slight changes that will appear, but overall, the books are going to be beautiful.  At least I think so!  If all goes well, they should be available for ordering on Amazon or through your favorite bookseller by mid July or the end at the latest.  They will also be available through Baker and Taylor for libraries and other academic institutions.

I will post more about the individual titles when they are finally available to order.  They are slightly newer versions of the books I published on the Kindle last year, and I will be updating the Kindle editions accordingly.

The next title is my most ambitious yet, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White Tales From Around the World.  I preferred Sleeping Beauties: Tales From Around the World, but Snow White dominates the collection and we decided that she should appear in the title for that reason.  I myself have translated more than ten tales into English for this collection in addition to several more by other translators and collectors.  There will be at least 40 stories in the collection overall--probably between 50-60 when all is done.  But I'll share more about that closer to release date sometime late summer or early fall...

All of these collections greatly expand on what has been previously available on SurLaLune, including newly translated tales and some that have been virtually hidden for many years that are not available on the website. 

Now the next question is what titles do you most want to see in the future?  In my researching, I have the beginnings of several collections.  In the long run, I plan collections for Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Godfather Death (and other death tales), Bluebeard, Puss in Boots (and other cat tales), Twelve Dancing Princesses, Hansel and Gretel, Diamonds and Toads (Kind and Unkind Girls), Six Swans and Swan Maidens to name several.  Which titles appeal to you the most?

Edited to add that I have also added a poll at the bottom of the blog for you to vote on preferred titles.  I'm working on some level on all of them, but am deciding which ones should take priority.

18 comments:

  1. Beauty and the Beast I would NEED, since I collect them. =) It's my favorite story of all time. (An example of Disney being a good thing, since it lead me to look further into the tale, and learn French, to boot.)

    I'd also love the Godfather Death, 12 Dancing Princesses, and Diamonds and Toads collections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty and the Beast for sure! It's my absolute favorite. I'm all about Godfather Death too... my dad's a funeral director so tales of Death as an entity have always captured my fancy. I love Diamonds and Toads as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really excited about this! Ah! As for the future works, I would love Beauty and the Beast, Swan Maidens and especially 12 Dancing Princesses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Beauty and the Beast, although I would love Swan Maidens and 12 Dancing Princesses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thrilled to see them finally in paper. Can't help it - I have to have my library on paper! I vote Godfather Death, Swan Maidens, and Puss in Boots.

    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Godfather death is one of my Favorites, but I also enjoy The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Will the titles ever be available for the Barnes & Noble nook?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these look great. As for me, I am a big fan of the Six Swans :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I'm so happy there are going to be paper versions, I can't wait to get hold of them! I would like all of the titles you've mentioned but especially the Six Swans and the Swan Maidens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. They look cool. Yeah, I'd definitely vote for Beauty and the Beast, as long as it had East of the Sun and West of the Moon in it. The Six Swans would be totally awesome indeed! All of this will be perfect imagination fuel for any author. :)

    You could also try Red Riding Hood, with this pic for a cover:
    http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/funny-pictures-wolf-has-bad-dream.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very exciting, HUGE congratulations!

    My vote would be for Cinderella and the Death Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvelous collection so far, I want 'em all!
    I would like to see the kataschi and baba yaga stories, my nana would scare the willies out of me with the baba yaga and her chicken foot house and skull fence .snow white and rose red is another favorite.
    i'll vote for beauty and the beast, next since you're already doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't mean to be morbid, but after doing a lot of work with hospice, I'd be very interested in Godfather Death. There's so much to be learned from these tales!

    The proofs are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beauty and the Beast sounds great. I would love to see Little Red, Diamonds and Toads, and Hansel and Gretel (would Molly Whuppie count as a Hansel and Gretel tale? I think so). Either way, I can't wait for these to come out. They look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Heidi! So excited to get my copies. I would love Beauty and the Beast, as well as The 12 Dancing Princesses - that tale is so magical... :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited about these. I actually gasped when I saw the post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So exciting!!!! I can't wait for the Sleeping Beauty/Snow White one :).

    ReplyDelete