Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Easter Egg Artists by Adrienne Adams


Since I posted about easter eggs today, I just had to reminisce with you over one of my favorite books as a child: The Easter Egg Artists by Adrienne Adams. I checked this book out over and over again from the library. The only book that rivaled it for my checkouts was Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst would have perhaps surpassed both, but I owned that one and didn't need to check it out. Now you know my three favorite picture books as a child. I had decent taste since two of these are still in print and the third, The Easter Egg Artists, should be! Fortunately, I own a copy and it takes place as the first book I ever special-ordered when I learned that was possible, once again long before the days of Amazon and such.


The short description: "The Abbotts, established Easter egg artists, let their son develop a style of his own when he shows interest in painting."

If you're not familiar with the book, the son ends up painting more than trees, such as a car, an airplane and a bridge. The decorations are intricate and fascinated me as a child. They still warm my heart today.


The illustrations are borrowed from a blog I follow, Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves, that also recently posted on the book. There are a few more pictures there, so click through to see them.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe this book isn't still in print. This was one of my brother's favorite books, and surely a seasonal classic. They also had The Great Valentine's Day Balloon Race where they decorated hot air balloons.

    ReplyDelete