Sunday, April 11, 2010

Diamonds and Toads Week: Enchanted Conversation


Since I started Diamonds and Toads Week on Monday, I am finishing it on Sunday. Kate Wolford is the keeper of The Diamonds and Toads blog as well as Enchanted Conversation, an online journal featuring fairy tales. I appreciate Kate's choice of Diamonds and Toads for the fairy tale related blog especially since it once again brings attention to this all too neglected tale.

Diamonds and Toads primarily focuses on Kate's work as a lecturer and features many of the conversations and work of her students as they study fairy tales in her class.

Enchanted Conversation publishes new interpretations and explorations of fairy tales, usually focusing on one fairy tale her issue. The first volume offered up Sleeping Beauty.

The second issue of Enchanted Conversation launched this week and focuses on Beauty and the Beast.

The "Beauty and the Beast" issue has 28 stories and poems. Some are scary, and many are sad. Roses feature prominently, and the motivation of the person who made "The Beast," are well examined in several stories. Of course, there is a cornucopia of family woes, mix ups, and general misbehavior, but after all, we are talking about fairy tales.

I haven't had a chance to explore beyond the table of contents yet, but it's wonderful to see my favorite fairy tale explored. I can't wait to read further...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing, I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you for the wonderful week! I am delighted!
    You will find much to love in this edition!
    Since your site is #1 with students, and I love it too, I am thrilled to get any recognition from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read the other posts for this week, and have really enjoyed them. The whole week is thrilling (and for my blogs to be mentioned, wow)
    "Beauty and the Beast" is another big favorite of mine and I hope the new mag does it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that this week in the UK one of our top chefs, Heston Blumenthal is doing a fairy tale feast on tv "He also conjures up a fairytale feast inspired by his favourite stories which thrilled and scared him as a child, including Snow White, Cinderella and Hansel & Gretel." Later in the week there might be details here:
    http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/heston-blumenthal/feast/heston-s-feasts-2/about-heston-s-feasts-series-2_p_1.html

    ReplyDelete