Monday, July 12, 2010

Little Mermaid Film




I took another long weekend, so I have several things to share this week. First up is that yet another fairy tale themed movie is in development. I think I need a working list to keep up. This time Little Mermaid is the fairy tale of choice.

From The Hollywood Reporter at Working Title developing live 'Mermaid' by Stuart Kemp:

Working Title Films is teaming with director Joe Wright to develop a live-action movie version of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale "The Little Mermaid."

The script -- for what will be the first English-language live-action adaptation of the tale -- has been penned by Abi Morgan ("Brick Lane") for Working Title and Wright.

It tells the classic tale of a young mermaid who gives up her life in the sea to love a human prince.

Andersen's story was first published in 1837 and has been adapted numerous times for stage and screen. Wright's version is inspired by a children's puppet theatre production of the classic at London's Little Angel Theatre Company, backers said.

If even half of these movies that are in development make it into production, we will certainly enjoy a glut of fairy tale films in the next three to four years, more than I remember in recent memory for the big screen, especially live action ones.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, Joe Wright doing Little Mermaid? That will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a wonderful Russian version I saw on TV years ago. It haunted me for days... it was beautiful. I hope this new film preserves the ending as Anderson intended and doesn't resort to the Disney "American Dream" ending!

    ReplyDelete