Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Snow White: It Girl of 2012




So I've been watching the clips and trailers for Snow White and the Huntsman and I'm curious. Of course, more of the men in my life are interested in seeing this film than the women, but at least someone is interested, right? We want a successful fairy tale movie so that the impetus continues for a while. Or at least I do. Now, I admit, that one of the first things that jumped out at me was the sound effects that are from Star Wars from a Jabba the Hut laugh to a Tauntaun's whinny (or some other Star Wars creature, I didn't replay it to doublecheck but my first instinct was Tauntaun!) You can watch some of them here.

So if you haven't read Why we so desperately want Snow White and the Huntsman to be good By Meredith Woerner at IO9 yet, please do.
We need Snow White and the Huntsman to be good. It's moved past mere desire to a full-on burning inflammation in our fantasy loins. Why? Perhaps it's because what we've seen in the trailers so far looks pretty damn good. We were raised on Beastmaster, Willow, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, but there's been a fantasy dry spell in Hollywood for years (Return of the King came out in 2003, people). It's time for some good, new fantasy, sans Lion Jesus.

So we desperately want Snow White and the Huntsman to be good, because that would mean a victory for dark fantasy and potentially more fantastic bloody battles fought on the big screen. We're not sure if it will be. The only thing we can do while we wait is whip up a pro/con list, so here it is. Let's contemplate how Charlize Theron's Evil Queen movie could prevail, and how it could fail.

Click through to read it all.

And now I ask you, how much of a Snow White theme would you like here on the blog for the next few weeks? Is it overkill or part of the excitement and fun of all the hype? This is the biggest hyped fairy tale inspired movie in a while, especially one not animated by Disney. I can write quite a bit about the fairy tale--after all, I have an entire book on the topic with my name on the cover--Sleeping Beauties: Sleeping Beauty and Snow White Tales From Around the World. And after working on that book, I have an affection for Snow White that had never existed prior. I will do some--and anything is still a challenge since I am still painting, unpacking and trying to rebuild my nest so I can work comfortably again. The good news? I have finally unpacked my folklore library. I don't feel nearly as handicapped as I have been the last few months for I have my resources more accessible again even if my time is still limited.

2 comments:

  1. I would love that! I've gained a new interest in the story since Once Upon a Time came out.

    ~Lylassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me. I think Snow White is one of the tales I'm less familar with the lore.

    ReplyDelete