Friday, May 18, 2012

Preview of CW's Beauty and the Beast



So, Beauty and the Beast, the original series has been on my mind all week.* Then the CW released this short trailer of their reboot airing this fall, in the prime slot after their hit, The Vampire Diaries. So far, nothing unexpected with the trailer but I admit that after years of Smallville, I would prefer not to see Kristin Kreuk in the lead. I'm rather apathetic about her persona on film but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt come this fall, of course.

And I'm still debating a rewatch of the original series. I enjoyed the first two seasons back in the day, I'm just old enough to have watched it, but the third season pretty much wrecked it all for me and I've never wanted to return. But I am tempted to at least watch the first season on DVD again. I own one and two and refuse to put my money toward the third.


*Thanks to Mad Men actually--not because the fairy tale was at all mentioned in this past week's episode, "Dark Shadows". No, it's all because of the poem, "Ozymandias" by Shelley, which was quoted in the episode. John and I had a conversation about the poem and he thought my knowledge came from that English degree of mine. Nope, I learned about Ozymandias after an episode using it in the original Beauty and the Beast series. It was much harder to learn about poetry before the internet but I have never forgotten that episode or its use of Shelley.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Beauty and the Beast too! My favorite poem from the series was Invictus. Thanks for posting the trailer to the new series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the 80s B&B as a kid (which I was just old enough to watch too), and I re-watched it as an adult (because it's streaming on Netflix). Just as I finished, I was like, this really deserves a remake with a proper ending, and two days later the CW announced it's remake! Dreams do come true.

    I also agree with the Kristen Kreuk sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh. Seen it all before. But you know how it is: tale as old as time. Song as old as rhyme.

    ReplyDelete