Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bride Finding Ball by Richard and Robert Sherman



The Slipper and the Rose (1976 Film Soundtrack) The Slipper and the Rose

With the understanding that song lyrics are also poetry, if not always as well refined poetry, today I am sharing the lyrics to one of the songs in The Slipper and the Rose. As I read through them here, I realized that many of them are not very Cinderella specific, so "Bride Finding Ball" wins todays place as poem of the day. It's not my favorite song in the movie, probably one of my least favorites actually, but it will do.


Bride Finding Ball
by Richard and Robert Sherman

The Prince:
A bride finding ball, a bride finding ball
Where every maiden's bound to laugh at me
The royal fatted calf
A bride finding ball, a bride finding ball
Though I'm the one who does the choosing
I'm the one who does the losing
It's nauseating, nauseating
Can't you just imagine it?
Hope springs in all
Short, fat, or tall
As they primp and preen and pray
That this will be their lucky day
There is no affair of which I'm aware
More galling to bear than a bride finding ball!

The Prince's cousin:
A bride finding ball, a bride finding ball
Where luscious lovlies from each land
Will vie to win the royal hand
A bride finding ball, a bride finding ball
With frills on dresses, party dresses
Every maiden effervescent
Giving her best, giving her all
Dancing, glancing, laughing, teasing
Whirling, swirling, touching, squeezing
There's no affair
To ever compare
Or thrill or enthrall like a bride finding ball!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, now I really want to rewatch The Slipper & the Rose! My favorite is probably the one where they sing and dance in the mausoleum, just because it is so ridiculous. :)

    Also, yay for posting a poem a day! I've been doing 30 days of poetry on my blogs for 6 years now and it's always such fun. I love Poetry Month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute song! :) I very much enjoyed your blog and your site! :) I've discover some of my favorite stories here and gain some new favorites as well! :)

    ReplyDelete