Happily Ever After by John Klima (Author, Editor), Bill Willingham (Introduction) is on sale for the first time in ebook format for $1.99. It was $9.99 before this drop to the sale price.
Most of the work in this collection is not original to the publication, only one short story and the introduction are brand new. However, the collection pulls from many anthologies--at least 16--and nice person that I am, I included many of the original sources in the table of contents below.
Once Upon A Time...
...in the faraway land of Story, a Hugo-winning Editor realized that no one had collected together the fairy tales of the age, and that doorstop-thick anthologies of modern fairy tales were sorely lacking...
And so the Editor ventured forth, wandering the land of Story from shore to shore, climbing massive mountains of books and delving deep into lush, literary forests, gathering together thirty-three of the best re-tellings of fairy tales he could find. Not just any fairy tales, mind you, but tantalizing tales from some of the biggest names in today's fantastic fiction, authors like Gregory Maguire, Susanna Clarke, Charles de Lint, Holly Black, Aletha Kontis, Kelly Link, Neil Gaiman, Patricia Briggs, Paul Di Filippo, Gregory Frost, and Nancy Kress. But these stories alone weren't enough to satisfy the Editor, so the Editor ventured further, into the dangerous cave of the fearsome Bill Willingham, and emerged intact with a magnificent introduction, to tie the collection together.
And the inhabitants of Story, from the Kings and Queens relaxing in their castles to the peasants toiling in the fields; from to the fey folk flitting about the forests to the trolls lurking under bridges and the giants in the hills, read the anthology, and enjoyed it. And they all lived...
...Happily Ever After.
Table of Contents:
- Bill Willingham - Introduction
- Gregory Maguire - The Seven Stage a Comeback (A Wolf At the Door: And Other Retold Fairy Tales)
- Genevieve Valentine - And In Their Glad Rags (Straying from the Path)
- Howard Waldrop - The Sawing Boys (Black Thorn, White Rose)
- Michael Cadnum - Bear It Away (Black Heart, Ivory Bones)
- Susanna Clarke - Mr. Simonelli or the Fairy Widower (Black Heart, Ivory Bones)
- Karen Joy Fowler - The Black Fairy's Curse (Black Swan, White Raven)
- Charles de Lint - My Life As A Bird (Black Heart, Ivory Bones)
- Holly Black - The Night Market (The Faery Reel)
- Theodora Goss - The Rose in Twelve Petals (from chapbook The Rose in Twelve Petals & Other Stories and Realms of Fantasy, April 2002. The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection, 2003. In the Forest of Forgetting, 2006. Feeling Very Strange: The Slipstream Anthology, 2006.)
- Jim C. Hines - The Red Path (Terribly Twisted Tales)
- Alethea Kontis - Blood and Water (Intergalactic Medicine Show)
- Garth Nix - Hansel's Eyes (A Wolf At the Door: And Other Retold Fairy Tales)
- Wil McCarthy - He Died That Day, In Thirty Years (Once Upon a Galaxy)
- Jane Yolen - Snow In Summer (Black Heart, Ivory Bones)
- Michelle West - The Rose Garden (Little Red Riding Hood in the Big Bad City)
- Bruce Sterling - The Little Magic Shop (Feeling Very Strange: The Slipstream Anthology)
- K. Tempest Bradford - Black Feather (Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing)
- Alan Rodgers - Fifi's Tail (Twice Upon a Time)
- Kelly Link - The Faery Handbag (The Faery Reel)
- Peter Straub - Ashputtle (Black Thorn, White Rose)
- Leslie What - The Emperor's New (And Improved) Clothes (Twice Upon a Time)
- Robert J. Howe - Pinocchio's Diary (original to the collection)
- Wendy Wheeler - Little Red (Snow White, Blood Red)
- Neil Gaiman - The Troll Bridge (Snow White, Blood Red)
- Patricia Briggs - The Price (Silver Birch, Blood Moon)
- Paul Di Filippo - Ailoura (Once Upon a Galaxy)
- Jeff VanderMeer - The Farmer's Cat (The Surgeon's Tale and Fantasy: The Very Best of 2005)
- Gregory Frost - The Root of The Matter (Snow White, Blood Red)
- Susan Wade - Like a Red, Red Rose (Snow White, Blood Red)
- Josh Rountree - Chasing America (Polyphony 6)
- Nancy Kress - Stalking Beans (Snow White, Blood Red)
- Esther Friesner - Big Hair (Black Heart, Ivory Bones)
- Robert Coover - The Return of the Dark Children (A Child Again)