Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fairy Tales Charm Bracelet



In a previous post about Little Red Riding Hood jewelry, I mentioned my fairy tale charm bracelet. I pulled it out to wear it recently, something I haven't done in a few years. It was a favorite piece of jewelry when I was regularly presenting storytimes and working with children as a librarian. I added to it over a year or so when SurLaLune was young, often buying a charm to commemorate the addition of another tale to the site or receiving one as a gift.

The bracelet also makes a fun storytelling device, letting a child choose a charm and then telling her the story that goes with it. Of course, several of the charms represent more than one story, but that only makes it more fun.

While my bracelet is overfull and will not be added to--believe me I know it looks like a jumbled mess in the picture above--I went searching on Amazon for more charms to see what was now available. I consequently made a list at Make Your Own Fairy Tale Charm Bracelet.

Some of the charms on the list are the ones I chose ten years ago and appear on my own bracelet while others are different. I'm sure other sites have other options, perhaps better ones, but Amazon had a variety and the list making ability. So gawk or be inspired or do both. I didn't find the Fairy Godmother holding a wand to a pumpkin or the Three Bears charms that thrilled me when I found them years ago. But the cat in the boot and others are similar to mine.

If you want play 'find the object', here's a list of the charms on the bracelet. You can also play guess the fairy tale(s) they represent for most represent at least two if not more.

My charms:

1. Book
2. Moon with star
3. Bear
4. Treasure chest
5. Deer
6. Dance Slippers
7. Spinning Wheel
8. Tower (really a lighthouse)
9. Swan
10. Horse head
11. Cat in a boot
12. Key
13. Sword
14. Shoe
15. Fairy Godmother with wand and pumpkin
16. Carriage
17. Crown
18. Three Bears
19. Donkey
20. Cottage/House
21. Pig
22. Wolf
23. Basket
24. Goat
25. Gingerbread Man
26. Candy Cane
27. Frog
28. Apple

Charms I wish I had room for or never found: Rose, Harp, Goose, Sun with Moon, Mortar and Pestle, Firebird, Needle and Thread, Unicorn, Dwarf, and so many more!

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a charm I bought for my Pandora bracelet: an Ugly Duckling. It's not really a Fairy Tale, but the sentiment is similar. :)

    Yours is very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love this post! I've thought about making a bracelet like this but never have. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete